Move over turkey! This delicious and festive cranberry glaze is unlike anything you've even tried before on a pork chop.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2006
- 4 pork loin centre chops, boneless (1 lb/500 g) or bone in
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 shallots or half small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/3 cup sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup apple jelly
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp/2 mL crumbled dried)
MethodSprinkle pork chops with half each of the salt and pepper.
In large skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; brown pork chops, turning once, until golden. Transfer to plate. Drain fat from pan.
Add remaining oil to pan; fry shallots, garlic and remaining salt and pepper over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes.
Add chicken stock, dried cranberries, apple jelly, vinegar, and rosemary. Stir until jelly melts and cranberries soften, about 4 minutes.
Return pork and any juices to pan, turning to coat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, turning once, until juices run clear when pork is pierced and just a hint of pink remains inside, about 5 minutes. Transfer pork to platter; keep warm.
Boil sauce until syrupy, about 1 minute. Pour over pork.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 396 mg
- Protein 23 g
- Calories 317.0
- Total fat 14 g
- Cholesterol 63 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 25 g
- Iron 8.0
- Folate 2.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 3.0