The key to this creamy Eastern European soup is homemade stock. The soup's subtle flavour of caraway seed makes it a perfect companion for Home-Style Caraway Rye Bread.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2009
- 1 pkg oyster mushroom
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 1/2 cups diced onions
- 1 1/2 cup diced leeks (white and light green parts)
- 1 lb white mushrooms quartered
- 5 cups diced and peeled potatoes
- 4 cups Easy Homemade Chicken Stock recipe
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 3/4 cups sour cream
MethodIn small bowl, cover dried mushrooms with 3/4 cup (175 mL) hot water; let stand until softened, about 15 minutes. Drain through cheesecloth-lined strainer, reserving liquid. Mince mushrooms.
In Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat; cook onions, leeks, and soaked and white mushrooms until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add potatoes; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add stock, soaking liquid, salt, caraway seeds and paprika; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender enough to fall apart, about 20 minutes. Stir in sour cream.
Nutritional facts Per each of 10 servings: about
- Sodium 224 mg
- Protein 5 g
- Calories 166.0
- Total fat 7 g
- Potassium 521 mg
- Cholesterol 16 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 23 g
- Iron 9.0
- Folate 12.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 5.0
- Vitamin C 12.0