Kary's tip: Serve this sauce with whole wheat pasta to increase your fibre intake.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2003 & Best Recipes Ever, weekdays at 3pm on CBC TV
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 minced cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 4 anchovy fillets (or 2 tsp/10 ml anchovy paste)
- 1 can tomato
- 1/2 cup oil-cured olives halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons drained rinsed capers
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic, oregano, hot pepper flakes and anchovies, stirring occasionally, until garlic starts to colour, about 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon. Add olives and capers; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened to consistency of salsa, about 10 minutes.
Make-Ahead Meal: Let cool for 20 minutes. Refrigerate until cold. Refrigerate in 4 airtight containers for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator and reheat to serve. Stir in parsley.
Tonight's Dinner: Follow first 2 paragraphs as directed. Stir in parsley. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook 1 lb (500 g) spaghetti or other pasta until tender but firm, 8 to 10 minutes; drain and toss with sauce.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 1132 mg
- Protein 4 g
- Calories 141.0
- Total fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 12 g
- Iron 14.0
- Fibre 0.0
- Folate 8.0
- Sodium 0.0
- Sugars 0.0
- Calcium 9.0
- Protein 0.0
- Calories 0.0
- Total fat 0.0
- Vitamin A 14.0
- Vitamin C 53.0
- Potassium 0.0
- Cholesterol 0.0
- Saturated fat 0.0
- Total carbohydrate 0.0