This mildly spicy black bean stew adds novelty to a vegetarian repertoire.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2007
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon mild curry paste
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) whole tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black bean drained and rinsed
- 4 cups packed fresh spinach
MethodIn Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, curry paste, ginger, salt and pepper until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes and beans; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
Stir in spinach; heat just until wilted, about 2 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 940 mg
- Protein 11 g
- Calories 213.0
- Total fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 33 g
- Iron 35.0
- Folate 68.0
- Calcium 16.0
- Vitamin A 56.0
- Vitamin C 62.0