Skinless chicken has 8 g less fat per serving than chicken with the skin. Serve this pasta dish with whole grain bread.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2003
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups (about 6 oz/175 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 sweet green pepper chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 700 mL roasted garlic-flavoured pasta sauce
- 5 cups penne pasta (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Cut chicken into 3/4-inch (2 cm) chunks. In large shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, in 2 batches. Transfer to plate. Drain off fat in pan.
Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, green pepper, Italian herb seasoning, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until no liquid remains, about 5 minutes.
Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan. Add pasta sauce and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and add to chicken mixture, stirring to coat. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional facts <b>Per each of 6 servings:</b> about
- Sodium 1011 mg
- Protein 38 g
- Calories 519.0
- Total fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 66 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 71 g
- Iron 26.0
- Folate 58.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 7.0
- Vitamin C 48.0