- Portion size 6 servings
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups barley
- 2/3 cups quinoa rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup each finely diced carrots celery, onion, sweet red pepper and zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely diced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon each fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon each mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
MethodIn saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) water and half of the salt to boil; add barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender and liquid is absorbed, about
40 minutes; let cool.
Meanwhile, in separate saucepan, bring 1 cup (250 mL) water and remaining salt to boil; add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes; let cool.
Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry carrot, celery, onion, red pepper and zucchini, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
GINGER VINAIGRETTE: In glass measure, whisk together oil, vinegar, ginger, mustard, salt and pepper; set aside.
In large bowl, combine barley, quinoa, vegetable mixture, cucumber, parsley, mint and thyme; pour dressing over top and toss to coat. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 224 mg
- Protein 5 g
- Calories 266.0
- Total fat 13 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 35 g
- Iron 21.0
- Folate 13.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 26.0
- Vitamin C 20.0