Keep uncooked quinoa fresh by refrigerating it in an airtight container for up to six months. You can refrigerate cooked quinoa for up to three days.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2011
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups green beans trimmed and chopped
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet red pepper diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup bottled strained tomatoes (passata)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
MethodIn saucepan, bring quinoa and 2 cups water to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12 minutes. Fluff with fork and let cool.
Meanwhile, in saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch green beans until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain and refresh in bowl of ice water. Drain and transfer to large bowl.
Stir in cooled quinoa, chickpeas, red pepper and feta cheese.
Tomato Vinaigrette: Whisk together tomatoes, vinegar, oil, honey, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper; pour over quinoa mixture and stir to coat.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 1155 mg
- Protein 18 g
- Calories 556.0
- Total fat 22 g
- Potassium 649 mg
- Cholesterol 35 mg
- Saturated fat 8 g
- Total carbohydrate 75 g
- Iron 46.0
- Folate 53.0
- Calcium 25.0
- Vitamin A 18.0
- Vitamin C 108.0