Pancetta is cured bacon often used to add flavour to a dish. Look for it in the deli section, or use thick-cut bacon instead.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2010
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 4 1/2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oz pancetta diced
- 2 oz bacon diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups shredded radicchio lettuce
- 1 1/3 cup short grain rice (such as arborio, Vialone Nano or carnaroli)
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
MethodIn saucepan, bring water to boil; reduce heat to low and keep warm.
In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry pancetta until starting to crisp. Add onion; sauté until softened and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add radicchio and rice; sauté until radicchio is wilted and rice is coated, about 2 minutes. Stir in wine (if using) until absorbed.
Add water, 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time, stirring after each addition until most of the liquid is absorbed before adding more, about 20 minutes total. Taste before adding last 1/2 cup (125 mL); rice should be loose, creamy but not mushy, and still slightly firm in centre.
Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan, butter, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 591 mg
- Protein 8 g
- Calories 287.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Potassium 142 mg
- Cholesterol 19 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 38 g
- Iron 4.0
- Folate 6.0
- Calcium 10.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 2.0