Chicken breasts are so easy to prepare that any variation of this elegant entrée can be ready in just 30 minutes.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2003
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Smoked Gouda and Leek Filling:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 leek thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped drained sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Smoked Gouda and Leek Filling: In large ovenproof nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook leek and thyme, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl; mix in cheese, tomatoes and parsley.
With sharp knife held horizontally and starting from curved side, cut chicken in half almost but not all the way through; open like book. Spoon scant 2 tbsp (25 mL) filling over 1 side, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border uncovered. Fold uncovered side over; secure edge with 2 toothpicks.
In small bowl, combine oil, salt and pepper; brush all over chicken. In same skillet, brown chicken over medium-high heat. Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven until no longer pink inside, 15 minutes. Remove toothpicks; cut each diagonally into 6 slices.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 368 mg
- Protein 44 g
- Calories 303.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 127 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 2 g
- Iron 8.0
- Folate 7.0
- Calcium 14.0
- Vitamin A 7.0
- Vitamin C 7.0