The rich garlic flavour mellows with red pepper and anchovy into a contemporary dish with rustic Mediterranean appeal.
- Portion size 30 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2003
- 30 baguettes toasted
Roasted Garlic Spread:
- 1 lb whole garlic heads (5 to 10)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 roasted sweet red peppers
- 50 g (1 can) anchovy fillets drained
- 15 black olives pitted and halved
- 15 green olives pitted and halved
Roasted Garlic Spread: Separate and peel garlic cloves. In saucepan, cover and cook garlic in 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil over low heat, shaking pan often, until softened, about 12 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
With fork, mash garlic into paste. Blend in remaining oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper. (Make-ahead; Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.) Spread on baguette slices.
Topping: Cut red peppers into 2- x 1-inch (5 x 2.5 cm) strips; cut each anchovy fillet into thirds. Top each baguette slice with pepper, anchovy and olive half.
Nutritional facts <b>Per piece:</b> about
- Sodium 150 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Calories 60.0
- Total fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 1 mg
- Saturated fat trace
- Total carbohydrate 10 g
- Iron 4.0
- Folate 4.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 27.0