Although it takes a little time for the vegetables to roast, you can set the table and toss a salad in the meantime. Then you can finish this simple soup in minutes.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2007
- 3 sweet red peppers chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed, about 4 cups/1 L
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup Balkan-style plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
MethodIn roasting pan, toss together red peppers, potatoes, onion, garlic, oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven, stirring once, until tender and golden at edges, about 1 hour.
In food processor, purée vegetables with stock, in batches; strain into large pot. Whisk in 1 cup (250 mL) water. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate, uncovered, in airtight container until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.)
Bring soup to boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir yogurt with parsley. Serve dollops on bowls of soup.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 463 mg
- Protein 6 g
- Calories 244.0
- Total fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 8 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 34 g
- Iron 13.0
- Folate 14.0
- Calcium 11.0
- Vitamin A 245.0
- Vitamin C 278.0