This Spanish rice dish uses garlic sausage, but you can use chorizo, Italian or other zesty sausage.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2007
- 1 lb garlic sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carrots thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper thinly sliced
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1 1/3 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
MethodSlice sausage into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. In Dutch oven, brown sausage over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes. Drain off fat.
Add onion, garlic, Cajun seasoning and pepper; cook over medium heat until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.
Add carrot, red pepper, stock and 1 cup (250 mL) water; bring to boil, stirring. Add rice; reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
With fork, stir in peas; heat until hot. Garnish with parsley.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 1833 mg
- Protein 35 g
- Calories 780.0
- Total fat 42 g
- Cholesterol 97 mg
- Saturated fat 16 g
- Total carbohydrate 64 g
- Iron 24.0
- Folate 18.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 61.0
- Vitamin C 95.0