Choose very thin wonton wrappers for these irresistible hors d'oeuvres. Look for them in the refrigerated and frozen aisles of Asian markets and most supermarkets.
- Portion size 46 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2006
- 1 lb raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 cups coarsely chopped shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 oz/125 g)
- 1/4 cup chopped drained water chestnut
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 2 green onions minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian chili garlic sauce or hot sauce (optional)
- 46 wonton wrappers (about half 400 g pkg)
- lettuce leaves
- 3 tablespoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin (or 1 tbsp/15 mL granulated sugar)
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
Quarter each shrimp; place in bowl. Add mushrooms, water chestnuts, oyster sauce, coriander, ginger, green onions, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce (if using).
Working with 4 wonton wrappers at a time and keeping remainder covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out, mound 1 tbsp (15 mL) filling in centre of each; brush rim with cold water. Bring up corners and pinch together in centre; pinch sides closed. (Make-ahead: Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheet; cover with damp towel and refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Or omit towel and freeze until firm; layer between waxed paper in airtight container and freeze for up to 2 weeks.)
Dipping Sauce: In small bowl, combine soy sauce, mirin, half of the green onion, the lemon juice and half of the sesame seeds; set aside.
Place steamer basket in wok or shallow pan; add enough water to come 1 inch (2.5 cm) from rack. Cover and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-high.
Line rack with lettuce leaves; arrange half of the wontons, without touching, on lettuce. Cover and steam until shrimp are pink, about 10 minutes. Transfer wontons to lettuce-lined platter. Repeat with remaining wontons, discarding steamed lettuce.
Sprinkle with remaining green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with sauce.
Nutritional facts <b>Per piece:</b> about
- Sodium 127 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Calories 28.0
- Total fat trace
- Cholesterol 12 mg
- Saturated fat 0 g
- Total carbohydrate 4 g
- Iron 3.0
- Folate 3.0
- Calcium 1.0