Consider this dish as a Greek paella: Greek because of the classic shrimp, feta and dill combo; paella because all the ingredients are cooked with the rice and served at the table out of the pan.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2011
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 sweet yellow pepper diced
- 1 cup diced fennel
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cup long-grain white rice rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 1/2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 lb large (31 to 40 count) shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 6 oz feta cheese crumbled (about 1-1/4 cups)
- 1 lemon cut in 6 to 8 wedges
MethodIn 12-inch (30 cm) nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onion, yellow pepper, fennel, garlic, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add rice; cook, stirring, until becoming translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in wine until absorbed. Stir in broth and 1/4 cup water; bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until rice is tender but still firm, 12 minutes.
Stir in shrimp, tomatoes and 2 tbsp of the dill; cook, covered, until shrimp are pink, 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with feta cheese and remaining dill. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 756 mg
- Protein 22 g
- Calories 383.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Potassium 419 mg
- Cholesterol 112 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 45 g
- Iron 16.0
- Folate 15.0
- Calcium 19.0
- Vitamin A 10.0
- Vitamin C 67.0