Reducing the sauce at the end of the cooking is an essential step to achieveing sweet-and-sour short rib nirvana. Serve over white rice and with a drizzle of sriracha if you can stand a little heat. For best results, look for thick, meaty short ribs.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2014
- 18 kg bone-in beef simmering short ribs cut in 2Â½-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper
- 1 Spanish onion thinly sliced
- 1 can (398 mL) crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
MethodSprinkle ribs with salt and pepper; set aside.
In slow cooker, combine onion, pineapple, broth, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Nestle ribs in mixture. Cover and cook on low until ribs are tender, about 8 hours.
Using slotted spoon, transfer ribs and onion to platter; cover loosely with foil. Transfer liquid in slow cooker to medium saucepan; bring to boil.
Cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Whisk cornstarch with 1 tbsp water; whisk into sauce. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Pour over ribs; sprinkle with green onions.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Fibre 1 g
- Sodium 425 mg
- Sugars 17 g
- Protein 26 g
- Calories 674.0
- Total fat 54 g
- Potassium 621 mg
- Cholesterol 102 mg
- Saturated fat 23 g
- Total carbohydrate 22 g
- Iron 17.0
- Folate 10.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 12.0