This all-in-one meal is a roast version of classic beef and barley soup. The barley thickens the cooking liquid to make a delicious gravy.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2013
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each pepper and dried thyme
- 135 kg boneless beef pot roast (top or bottom blade, or cross rib)
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 carrots coarsely chopped
- 1 pkg cremini mushrooms quartered
- 1/3 cup pot or pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
MethodCombine garlic, 1/2 tsp of the salt, pepper and thyme; rub all over beef. Place in slow
cooker. Add onions, carrots, mushrooms, barley and bay leaf.
Whisk together beef broth, 1 cup water, tomato paste, soy sauce and remaining salt; pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until beef is tender, 6 to 8 hours.
Remove beef to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Stir Worcestershire sauce into slow cooker.
Over large bowl, strain barley mixture to make gravy. Serve barley mixture and gravy with beef.
Nutritional facts per each of 10 servings: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 445 mg
- Sugars 2 g
- Protein 28 g
- Calories 280.0
- Total fat 14 g
- Potassium 449 mg
- Cholesterol 78 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 10 g
- Iron 24.0
- Folate 6.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 27.0
- Vitamin C 3.0