Making homemade chicken soup chock-full of vegetables is easy with this hearty slow cooker recipe. For a great boost of colour, stir in fresh parsley at the end.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs cubed
- 1 leek diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 Yukon Gold potato peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 sweet potato (6 oz/170 g), peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup basmati rice rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
MethodIn slow cooker, combine chicken, leek, celery, carrots, Yukon Gold potato, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir in chicken broth and water.
Cover and cook on low until juices run clear when chicken is pierced and vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
Stir in sweet potato and rice; cook, covered, on high until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Stir in peas and parsley; cook, covered, on high for 5 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 886 mg
- Protein 24 g
- Calories 321.0
- Total fat 5 g
- Potassium 670 mg
- Cholesterol 71 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 45 g
- Iron 23.0
- Folate 25.0
- Calcium 8.0
- Vitamin A 135.0
- Vitamin C 35.0