This makes enough for six healthy servings. Making slightly larger portions at dinner and refrigerating the extra for the next day's lunch can save precious time in the morning.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder cubed
- 1 white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can romano beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 2 cans chopped green chilies drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
MethodIn slow cooker, combine pork, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt. Stir in beans, salsa, chilies and chicken broth.
Cover and cook on high until pork is tender, 6 to 8 hours.
Whisk flour with 3 tbsp water until smooth; whisk into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 922 mg
- Protein 35 g
- Calories 404.0
- Total fat 19 g
- Potassium 880 mg
- Cholesterol 101 mg
- Saturated fat 7 g
- Total carbohydrate 25 g
- Iron 31.0
- Folate 38.0
- Calcium 8.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 28.0