If one-pot slow cooker chicken is a mainstay at your house, don't miss this recipe for potato lovers - Braised Chicken and Potatoes.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2006
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 chicken thighs skinned
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons mild curry paste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken. Transfer to slow cooker. Drain fat from pan.
Fry onions, stirring occasionally, until almost softened, about 10 minutes; scrape over chicken.
Whisk together orange juice, stock, curry paste, garlic and ginger; pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced.
Scrape onions off chicken. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken to platter; cover and keep warm. Whisk flour with 1/4 cup (50 mL) water; whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes. Pour over chicken.
Topping: Meanwhile, sprinkle onion with salt ; let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse in cold water; pat dry. In small bowl, toss onion with lime juice. Top each serving with yogurt then red onion. Sprinkle with coriander.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 321 mg
- Protein 26 g
- Calories 276.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 98 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 17 g
- Iron 12.0
- Folate 17.0
- Calcium 8.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 25.0