Asian-style braising recipes work wonders in the slow cooker. Strong flavours mellow and come together beautifully. Serve over rice for an easy and satisfying dinner. If you can't find daikon radish, substitute small white turnips.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 2 pkg (14 g each) dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 lb daikon radish peeled and cut in 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) cubes
- 1 Spanish onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 hot green peppers seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 green onions chopped
MethodIn small bowl, pour 1-1/2 cups boiling water over mushrooms; let stand for 30 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid; remove and discard stems.
In slow cooker, combine mushroom caps, chicken, radishes, onion, garlic, hot green peppers and hot pepper flakes.
Stir together reserved mushroom soaking liquid, soy sauce, sugar, rice wine and lemon juice; pour over chicken mixture.
Cover and cook on low until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 6 to 8 hours.
Whisk cornstarch with 1 tbsp cold water until smooth; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on high until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with green onions.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 850 mg
- Protein 30 g
- Calories 387.0
- Total fat 20 g
- Potassium 667 mg
- Cholesterol 125 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 22 g
- Iron 18.0
- Folate 18.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 4.0
- Vitamin C 28.0