Garam masala can be found in the spice aisle and is also known as Indian masala.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 3 lbs boneless lamb shoulder roasts
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 hot red chili peppers (seeded if desired)
- 2 hot green chili peppers (seeded if desired)
- 3 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 piece (1 inch/25 cm) lime zest
MethodCut lamb roast into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes, trimming off fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker.
In food processor, purée together tomatoes, onions, garlic, chili peppers, garam masala, coriander, cumin, turmeric and coconut milk. Pour over lamb. Add potatoes.
Cover and cook on low until lamb is tender, 6 to 8 hours. Skim off fat.
Whisk flour with 1/4 cup water until smooth; whisk into slow cooker. Stir in peas and lime zest.
Cook, covered, on high until thickened and peas are tender, about 20 minutes. Discard lime zest.
Nutritional facts Per each of 10 servings: about
- Sodium 289 mg
- Protein 30 g
- Calories 314.0
- Total fat 13 g
- Potassium 790 mg
- Cholesterol 89 mg
- Saturated fat 9 g
- Total carbohydrate 17 g
- Iron 30.0
- Folate 25.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 6.0
- Vitamin C 18.0