This recipe has all the flavour and comfort of cabbage rolls but without all the effort. Serve with a generous dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped fresh dill and parsley.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 1 green cabbage (about 2-1/2 lb/1.125 kg), cored
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground pork
- 1 cup sauerkraut rinsed and squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup long-grain rice
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds crushed
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cup sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1 cup bottled strained tomatoes (passata)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
MethodCut cabbage into 2-inch (5 cm) square chunks; place in slow cooker.
In large bowl, combine pork, sauerkraut, rice, onion, 1/2 tsp of the caraway seeds, 1/4 tsp of the salt and pepper. Shape into 2-inch (5 cm) meatballs; arrange on cabbage.
Whisk together beef broth, strained tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, vinegar, sugar and remaining caraway seeds and salt. Pour over meatballs.
Cover and cook on low until cabbage is tender, 6 to 8 hours.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Sodium 581 mg
- Protein 19 g
- Calories 272.0
- Total fat 14 g
- Potassium 582 mg
- Cholesterol 55 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 17 g
- Iron 16.0
- Folate 17.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 52.0