Inspired by Hungarian goulash, this hearty, rich stew is particularly delicious served over egg noodles or with crusty bread. Add a cucumber salad for a simple, satisfying meal.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 2 lbs potatoes peeled, halved and sliced 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick
- 8 oz Cubanelle peppers (3 large), seeded and chopped
- 3 carrots sliced in 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 white onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 lbs stewing beef cubes
- 1 1/2 cup sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can white kidney bean drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
MethodIn slow cooker, combine potatoes, half of the Cubanelle peppers, the carrots, onion and garlic. Top with beef.
Whisk together beef broth, tomato paste, paprika, marjoram, salt, caraway seeds, pepper and 1/2 cup water; pour over beef.
Cover and cook on low until beef and vegetables are tender, about 8 hours.
Whisk flour with 1/4 cup water until smooth; whisk into slow cooker.
Stir in beans and remaining peppers; cook, covered, on high until thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 707 mg
- Protein 41 g
- Calories 500.0
- Total fat 19 g
- Potassium 1236 mg
- Cholesterol 101 mg
- Saturated fat 8 g
- Total carbohydrate 41 g
- Iron 40.0
- Folate 27.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 58.0
- Vitamin C 52.0