Push the pork and sweet potatoes gently to one side of the slow cooker, then whisk the flour mixture into the other side to help keep the sweet potatoes intact.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder blade roasts cubed
- 2 onions chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled, halved and cut in 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) thick slices
- 1 cup bottled strained tomatoes (passata)
- 1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cooking molasses
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups packed chopped stemmed kale
MethodIn slow cooker, combine pork, onions, garlic, bay leaves, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper; top with sweet potatoes.
Whisk together strained tomatoes, chicken broth, molasses and vinegar; pour over pork.
Cover and cook on low until pork is tender, 6 to 8 hours. Discard bay leaves.
Whisk flour with 1 cup of the cooking liquid until smooth; whisk into slow cooker. Add kale; cook, covered, on high until thickened and kale is wilted, about 30 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Sodium 386 mg
- Protein 33 g
- Calories 572.0
- Total fat 33 g
- Potassium 1106 mg
- Cholesterol 119 mg
- Saturated fat 12 g
- Total carbohydrate 35 g
- Iron 33.0
- Folate 16.0
- Calcium 11.0
- Vitamin A 206.0
- Vitamin C 83.0