All these ingredients become meltingly tender as they cook together. Serve with dinner rolls and a green salad for a hearty meal.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder cubed
- 1 can romano beans drained and rinsed
- 1 jar (340 ml) roasted red peppers drained and chopped
- 1 sweet yellow pepper chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
MethodIn slow cooker, combine pork, beans, roasted red peppers, yellow pepper, onions, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes.
Stir together chicken broth, tomato paste and 1/2 cup water; pour over pork mixture.
Cover and cook on low until pork is tender, 6 to 8 hours.
Whisk flour with 1/3 cup water; whisk into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in basil and vinegar.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 811 mg
- Protein 50 g
- Calories 552.0
- Total fat 27 g
- Potassium 1102 mg
- Cholesterol 152 mg
- Saturated fat 10 g
- Total carbohydrate 27 g
- Iron 34.0
- Folate 42.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 13.0
- Vitamin C 158.0