Spinach can stand in for the Swiss chard, if you prefer. Add it to the hot soup just long enough to wilt it.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups packed coarsely chopped Swiss chard
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
MethodCut sausage into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown sausage. With slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker.
Drain fat from skillet. Add broth and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits; scrape into slow cooker.
Add water, onion, garlic, potatoes, herb seasoning, pepper and hot pepper flakes to slow cooker, stirring to combine.
Cover and cook on low until potatoes are tender, 4 to 6 hours.
Stir in Swiss chard; cook, covered, on high until wilted, about 10 minutes. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 508 mg
- Protein 12 g
- Calories 203.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 29 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 13 g
- Iron 8.0
- Fibre 0.0
- Folate 4.0
- Sodium 0.0
- Sugars 0.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Protein 0.0
- Calories 0.0
- Total fat 0.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 10.0
- Potassium 0.0
- Cholesterol 0.0
- Saturated fat 0.0
- Total carbohydrate 0.0