You can adjust from vegetarian to meaty by adding up to 8 oz (225 g) dry chorizo sausage or a piece of lean smoky bacon or smoked turkey thigh.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups sliced Spanish onion (1 large)
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 3 (19 oz/540 ml each) navy beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
MethodIn large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and paprika, stirring often, until onions are softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
Stir beans, tomatoes, salt, bay leaf and rosemary into slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low until bubbly and thickened enough to scoop, about 6 hours. Discard bay leaf.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Sodium 563 mg
- Protein 13 g
- Calories 319.0
- Total fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 47 g
- Iron 34.0
- Folate 94.0
- Calcium 13.0
- Vitamin A 5.0
- Vitamin C 27.0