Soups are great for your weekly dinner repertoire – there are endless flavour combinations and they're easy to prepare. If you enjoy a little heat, leave the seeds in the chilies.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 6 cups chopped peeled sweet potatoes (about 2 lb/900 g)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 bottle (236 ml) clam juice
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 green chilies seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb raw medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
MethodIn slow cooker, combine sweet potatoes, coconut milk, clam juice, chicken broth, onion, lime zest and juice, ginger, fish sauce, chilies and salt.
Cover and cook on low until potatoes are fork-tender, 4 to 5 hours.
Using immersion blender, or in stand blender in batches, purée soup.
Stir in shrimp. Cook, covered, on high until shrimp are pink, about 15 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 569 mg
- Sugars 8 g
- Protein 13 g
- Calories 242.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Potassium 558 mg
- Cholesterol 66 mg
- Saturated fat 9 g
- Total carbohydrate 25 g
- Iron 26.0
- Folate 12.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 160.0
- Vitamin C 48.0