Inspired by the traditional Mexican tacos served with spicy thin pork slices and pineapple, this slow cooker version features pork shoulder broken into tender bite size chunks. If you don't want to serve these as tacos, try serving the pork on top of steamed white rice instead.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2014
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce minced
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each cinnamon ancho chili powder, ground cumin and salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 15 kg pork shoulder roast trimmed
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 slices pineapples
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup diced peeled cored pineapple
- 20 soft corn tortillas (6 inches/15 cm) heated
- 3 avocados peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced radish
- half red onion thinly sliced
- 3/4 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
MethodStir together chipotle chili, vinegar, cinnamon, ancho chili powder, cumin, salt and garlic powder; rub over pork. Arrange slices of onion and pineapple in bottom of slow cooker; place pork over top. Cover and cook on low until pork is tender, about 8 hours.
Transfer pork to large bowl; let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, strain liquid from slow cooker through fine-mesh sieve into heatproof bowl; discard solids. Skim off fat. Return 1 cup of the liquid to slow cooker; discard remaining liquid. Whisk cornstarch with 1 tsp water; whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Using 2 forks, break pork into bite-size pieces; stir into thickened liquid to coat. Just before serving, stir in diced pineapple. (Fruit acids will turn pork mushy if added ahead of time.) Top tortillas with pork mixture, avocados, radishes, red onion, sour cream and cilantro.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 6 g
- Sodium 681 mg
- Sugars 2 g
- Protein 32 g
- Calories 554.0
- Total fat 31 g
- Potassium 848 mg
- Cholesterol 93 mg
- Saturated fat 9 g
- Total carbohydrate 39 g
- Iron 26.0
- Folate 57.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 5.0
- Vitamin C 22.0