These meatballs can be doubled in size or even halved for hors d'oeuvres. Serve over steamed rice and garnish with cilantro or green onions.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup water chestnut drained, rinsed and diced
- 3 green onions diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup bottled strained tomatoes (passata)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
MethodIn large bowl, combine turkey, bread crumbs, water chestnuts, green onions, cilantro, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and egg. Shape by 2 tbsp into balls; place in slow cooker.
Sauce: Whisk together pineapple juice, strained tomatoes, brown sugar and soy sauce; pour over meatballs.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Whisk cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water until smooth; whisk into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high until thickened, about 15 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Fibre 1 g
- Sodium 348 mg
- Sugars 15 g
- Protein 22 g
- Calories 292.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Potassium 471 mg
- Cholesterol 113 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 24 g
- Iron 21.0
- Folate 12.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 2.0
- Vitamin C 15.0