Added during the last few minutes of cooking, kale brings bright green colour, great texture and plenty of health benefits to this simple, delicious soup.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 8 oz summer sausage cubed
- 1 spanish onion diced
- 1 baking potato peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups chopped kale leaves (about half bunch)
- 1 can white kidney beans drained and rinsed
MethodIn slow cooker, combine sausage, onion, potato, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir in chicken broth and water.
Cover and cook on low until potatoes are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
Discard bay leaf. Stir in kale and beans; cook, covered, on high until kale is wilted and tender, about 10 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 1678 mg
- Protein 24 g
- Calories 468.0
- Total fat 19 g
- Potassium 1252 mg
- Cholesterol 42 mg
- Saturated fat 7 g
- Total carbohydrate 55 g
- Iron 34.0
- Folate 38.0
- Calcium 19.0
- Vitamin A 142.0
- Vitamin C 207.0