Rustic and garlicky, this is a simple yet fantastic appetizer. Serve with extra olive oil to drizzle over top.
- Portion size 32 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2009
- 1 baguette
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups cooked white kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bean cooking liquid or water
- 1/3 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
MethodDiagonally slice baguette into 32 slices. Brush 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil onto 1 side of slices. Broil on rimmed baking sheet, 3 inches (8 cm) from heat and turning once, until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes; set aside.
In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook garlic, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in beans, sage and salt; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, mashing with wooden spoon just until broken (not pasty). Stir in bean liquid; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Spoon heaping 1 tbsp (15 mL) onto each toast; top with cheese.
Nutritional facts Per piece: about
- Sodium 105 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 70.0
- Total fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 1 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 8 g
- Iron 4.0
- Folate 13.0
- Calcium 2.0