Salsa verde (green salsa) is a mild sauce made from tomatillos and green hot peppers. Look for it in the Mexican section of your supermarket.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2011
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cups finely chopped sweet onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet green pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and minced (or less if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded smoked Cheddar cheese or other smoked cheese
- 2 oz thinly sliced dry-cured Spanish-style salami
- 2 oz thinly sliced dry-cured chorizo sausage
MethodMix together salsa verde, coriander and lime juice; set salsa aside.
In nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat; fry onion, green pepper, jalapeño pepper and salt, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
Spread half over 1 of the tortillas; top with half each of the cheese and salami. Cover with second tortilla.
In skillet, heat 1 tsp (5 mL) of the remaining oil over medium heat; add quesadilla and drizzle 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of the remaining oil over top. Fry until bottom is golden, turning halfway through, 4 to 6 minutes. Cut into 6 wedges. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve with salsa.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 889 mg
- Protein 11 g
- Calories 295.0
- Total fat 17 g
- Potassium 149 mg
- Cholesterol 27 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 23 g
- Iron 9.0
- Folate 11.0
- Calcium 14.0
- Vitamin A 7.0
- Vitamin C 18.0