This Oktoberfest, pair up large pretzels with mustard, wurst and a stein of your favourite ale. These are best enjoyed warm or the same day that they are baked.
- Portion size 8 servings
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- baking soda
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
MethodA pretzel is an attractive, decorative shape that doesn¹t require a cookie cutter. Let the Test Kitchen show you how it's done >>
1. In large bowl, dissolve sugar in 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the warm water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
Stir in remaining water and oil. Stir in 3 cups (750 mL) of the flour and salt to make sticky dough.
Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding as much of the remaining flour as necessary to make firm dough.
2. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
Punch down dough. Cut into 8 pieces. On lightly floured surface, roll each piece into 20-inch (50 cm) rope. Form into circle, crossing left end over right end above circle 3 inches (8 cm) from ends.
3. Pick up ends and cross left end over right end again.
4. Bring ends over and down to bottom of circle, overlapping by 1/4 inch (5 mm) to create pretzel shape; press to seal. Place on 2 parchment paper–lined baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
5. Add 2 tbsp (25 mL) baking soda to large wide saucepan of boiling water. Boil pretzels, 3 at a time, turning over once with slotted spatula, until puffed and set, about 1 minute. Using spatula, transfer to rack; let cool.
6. Topping: Return 4 pretzels to each prepared pan. Brush with egg; sprinkle with salt. Bake in top and bottom thirds of 400°F (200°C) oven (or 375°F/190°C convection oven), switching and rotating pans halfway through, for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and bottoms sound hollow when tapped. Transfer to rack; let cool just until warm. (Make-ahead: Let cool completely. Freeze in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.)
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 684 mg
- Protein 8 g
- Calories 252.0
- Total fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 23 mg
- Saturated fat trace
- Total carbohydrate 49 g
- Iron 22.0
- Folate 70.0
- Calcium 1.0
- Vitamin A 1.0