Has your backyard herb garden left you with an abundance of basil? Take a break from pesto and try this rustic, herb-infused tomato sauce.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2008
Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce:
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes halved (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch hot pepper flakes
- 340 g spaghetti
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil approx
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted black olive
MethodRoasted Cherry Tomato Sauce: In 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan, toss together tomatoes, garlic, oil, vinegar, rosemary, salt and hot pepper flakes. Roast in 400°F (200°C) oven until shrivelled, about 25 minutes.
Spaghetti: Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and transfer to large serving bowl.
Add tomato sauce and basil, tossing to combine. Sprinkle with goat cheese, olives, and more basil if desired.
Tip from The Test Kitchen: Store fresh tomatoes at room temperature. Refrigerating them can cause them to lose flavour and become mealy.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 620 mg
- Protein 14 g
- Calories 474.0
- Total fat 15 g
- Cholesterol 4 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 72 g
- Iron 30.0
- Folate 87.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 16.0
- Vitamin C 32.0