- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2010
- 2 pkg (each 454 g) fusilli pasta
- 1 bag (10 oz/284 g) fresh spinach trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
MethodIn large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the pasta cooking liquid, drain; return pasta to pot.
Meanwhile, rinse spinach; shake off excess water. In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium heat; fry garlic, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in spinach and basil; cook, covered, for 2 minutes.
Uncover and cook, stirring, until no liquid remains, about 2 minutes. Transfer to food processor. Add remaining oil, salt and pepper; purée until smooth. Add reserved pasta cooking liquid; blend well.
Add spinach mixture to pasta along with 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and lemon juice; toss to coat. Serve topped with remaining ricotta and pine nuts.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 722 mg
- Protein 21 g
- Calories 547.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Potassium 315 mg
- Cholesterol 19 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 88 g
- Iron 41.0
- Folate 129.0
- Calcium 17.0
- Vitamin A 40.0
- Vitamin C 8.0