Serve this easy, outstandingly flavoured dish with crusty bread to sop up all the zesty sauce. It also makes a delicious appetizer for six.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2007
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup sliced dried chorizo sausage (6 oz/175 g)
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or wine vinegar
- 4 lbs littleneck clams scrubbed
- 1/2 cup packed torn fresh basil
MethodIn Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; fry chorizo, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 8 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and vinegar; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and tomatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Add clams; cover and bring to boil over high heat. Cook just until clams open wide, 8 to 10 minutes. Discard any that do not open. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 735 mg
- Protein 22 g
- Calories 365.0
- Total fat 25 g
- Cholesterol 61 mg
- Saturated fat 7 g
- Total carbohydrate 15 g
- Iron 80.0
- Folate 19.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 26.0
- Vitamin C 60.0