Shortcuts - Potatoes cook quickly in the microwave. - Herbed cream cheese has the bonus of added flavour. - Packaged shredded cheese and frozen corn are ready to use.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2004
- 4 baking potatoes (about 2 lb/1 kg)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) light herbed cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt and pepper
- 3 oz (90 g) ham diced
- 3 oz (90 g) pastrami diced
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) frozen corn
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Cheddar cheese
Scrub potatoes; prick all over with fork. Microwave at high, turning potatoes halfway through, until tender, about 14 minutes.
Cut off top third lengthwise of each potato; scoop out larger portion into bowl, leaving about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick walls. Scoop out potato from tops into bowl; discard top skins.
Add milk, cream cheese, salt and pepper to potatoes; mash until smooth. Stir in ham, corn and half of the onions.
Scoop mashed potatoes back into skins, mounding tops. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining onions.
Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven or toaster oven until hot and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 630 mg
- Protein 14 g
- Calories 305.0
- Total fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 39 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 42 g
- Iron 14.0
- Folate 15.0
- Calcium 15.0
- Vitamin A 8.0
- Vitamin C 33.0