An inexpensive beef roast becomes a savoury Sunday supper with this special treatment. Serve with golden oven-roasted potatoes and baked squash.
- Portion size 8 servings
- 1 rump oven roast (about 3 lb/(1.5 kg))
- 1 boneless chuck roast (about 3 lb/(1.5 kg))
- 1 blade roast (about 3 lb/(1.5 kg))
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup pitted prune
Rub meat all over with salt and pepper. In large flameproof casserole or Dutch oven, heat oil; brown meat all over. Remove and set aside.
Melt butter in casserole and cook onions, stirring, for about 10 minutes or until translucent. Place browned meat on top of onions.
Combine sugar with vinegar, pour over meat. Cover and bake in 300°F (150°C) oven for 2 hours, basting occasionally with pan juices. Stir in prunes and cook, uncovered, for 30 to 60 minutes longer or until meat is tender.