Simmering dried fruit and spices in the sauce makes the fruit plump and gives a sweet edge to this luxurious beef stew. Serve with a side of couscous for a Moroccan-style meal.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2014
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery thinly sliced
- 135 kg stewing beef cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 carrots chopped
- 2 white turnips peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricot chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
MethodIn large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat 1 tsp of the oil over medium heat; cook onions and celery, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Scrape into bowl.
Toss together beef, salt and pepper. Add remaining oil to pan; heat over medium high heat. Cook beef, in batches and stirring occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes.
Stir in garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion mixture, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and bay leaves; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, wine, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
Stir in carrots, turnips, prunes and apricots; cook, stirring occasionally, until turnips are tender, about 45 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
Whisk flour with cold water; whisk into stew. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 452 mg
- Sugars 13 g
- Protein 29 g
- Calories 341.0
- Total fat 15 g
- Cholesterol 80 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 22 g
- Iron 26.0
- Folate 10.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 54.0
- Vitamin C 13.0