- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2011
- 1 lb haddock fillet or cod or halibut fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons light-coloured soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 green onions
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 green hot peppers sliced
- 2 red hot peppers sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 cup thin tomato wedges
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
MethodCut fish into chunks; toss with salt and pepper; set aside.
In bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, cornstarch and soy sauce until sugar is dissolved; stir in broth. Set aside.
Mince white and light green parts of green onions; slice dark green parts. Set aside.
Batter: In large bowl, whisk flour with cornstarch. Whisk together egg, ice water, baking soda, salt and pepper until foamy; stir into flour mixture to make smooth paste.
In wok, heat oil over medium-high heat just until ripples appear. Dip fish into batter to coat. In batches, fry fish, turning often, until golden and fish flakes easily when tested, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towel–lined plate; arrange on serving platter. Keep warm.
Reserving 2 tbsp of the oil, drain wok and wipe clean. Return reserved oil to wok and heat over medium-high heat; stir-fry minced onions and ginger until fragrant, 20 seconds.
Add hot and red peppers; stir-fry until tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Add pineapple and tomato; stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir vinegar mixture and add to wok; stir-fry until thickened, about 2 minutes. Ladle over fish. Sprinkle with sliced dark green parts of onions and cilantro leaves.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Sodium 394 mg
- Protein 13 g
- Calories 237.0
- Total fat 14 g
- Potassium 330 mg
- Cholesterol 44 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 17 g
- Iron 9.0
- Folate 11.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 8.0
- Vitamin C 50.0