This unusual yet seasonal match of blueberries and corn is ideal for brunch or with afternoon tea.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2008
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked, thawed or canned corn kernels
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/4 cup cultivated blueberry
- 1 1/4 cup cultivated wild blueberry
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
MethodIn large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt ; set aside.
In food processor or blender, pur?corn with brown sugar until lumpy. Add buttermilk and eggs; pur?to combine, about 5 seconds.
Make well in flour mixture; pour in corn mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in butter; fold in blueberries. Pour into greased 9-inch (23 cm) glass pie plate, smoothing top. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven until deep golden and cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on rack.
Nutritional facts Per each of 10 servings: about
- Sodium 277 mg
- Protein 6 g
- Calories 266.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 64 mg
- Saturated fat 7 g
- Total carbohydrate 36 g
- Iron 8.0
- Folate 32.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 11.0
- Vitamin C 3.0