- Portion size 5 servings
- 12 cups cold water
- 1 turkey carcass broken into 3 or 4 pieces
- 2 stalks celery coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots coarsely chopped
- 2 onions coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorn
- 6 stems parsley
In large stockpot, combine water, turkey pieces, celery, carrots, onions, bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns and parsley. Bring to boil; skim off any foam. Reduce heat and simmer for 4 hours.
Strain through cheesecloth-lined sieve set over large bowl; let cool. Refrigerate until fat solidifies on surface, about 8 hours; remove fat. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
All about turkey: Get more turkey recipes, tips and advice in our All-Important Turkey page