Tex Mex Shepherd's pie recipes can be found all over the internet but this version is personalized. Feel free to add and change things up to your personal taste, that's the beauty of having your own kitchen. Enjoy!
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Molly Adams
- 3 yams peeled and quartered
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus extra to grease pan
- 1 white onion
- 1 lb ground turkey extra lean
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables cooked
- 2 cups havarti with jalapeños cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons low-fat Parmesan cheese
Method1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with extra virgin olive oil.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add peeled & quartered yams or sweet potatoes and cook until tender enough to pierce with a fork; drain. Mash by hand using a potato masher or sturdy whisk. Mix in milk, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tbsp. of the extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add white onions; cook and stir until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and ground turkey breast and cook until meat turns white. Season with red pepper flakes and taco seasoning (If you like it spicy, use a Hot & Spicy Taco mix & add tabasco sauce to taste).
4. Pour the ground turkey breast mixture into baking dish and add mixed vegetables. On top, layer with grated Havarti jalapeño cheese and cover with mashed yams or sweet potatoes. Sprinkle this top layer with low fat parmesan cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Then broil for 4-5mins until parmesan cheese is browned.