- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : © CanadianLiving.com
- 2 lb (about 6) Yukon Gold potatoes peeled
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cups bulgur
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped pumpkin seeds
Cut potatoes into 2-inch (5 cm) chunks. In saucepan of boiling water, cook potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender but not mushy; drain and mash. Blend in milk, butter and 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) each of the salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, green pepper, chili powder, cumin and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add bulgur and flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually pour in stock. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add corn and remaining salt and pepper.
Spread in 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish; spread mashed potatoes over top. Sprinkle with parsley. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; reheat covered.)
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 30 minutes or until filling is bubbling. Broil for 2 minutes or until light golden.