Flank steak absorbs intense flavours from this marinade. Wear rubber gloves while handling chilies.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: July 2007
- 1 flank marinating steak (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 carrots large
- 6 oz wide rice stick noodles
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons Thai basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanut
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 Thai chili pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
MethodMarinade: In glass baking dish, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil, garlic, ginger and sugar; add steak, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 12 hours.)
Dressing: In jar with tight-fitting lid, shake water with sugar until dissolved. Add lime juice, fish sauce and chilies; shake to combine. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 5 days.)
Using vegetable peeler, slice cucumber lengthwise into thin strips, slicing around centre seeds. Slice carrot lengthwise into thin strips; set aside.
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook rice noodles for 6 to 7 minutes or until tender.
Drain and chill under cold water; drain and transfer to large bowl. Toss with dressing. Set aside.
Discarding marinade, place steak on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until desired doneness, about 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board and tent with foil; let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain.
Add cucumber, carrot, onion, coriander, mint and basil to noodle mixture; toss to coat. Divide among bowls or plates; top with steak and sprinkle with peanuts.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 873 mg
- Protein 21 g
- Calories 363.0
- Total fat 13 g
- Cholesterol 31 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 41 g
- Iron 15.0
- Folate 14.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 26.0
- Vitamin C 20.0