This spinach salad makes a rave-review lunch, light supper or dinner appetizer.
- Portion size 6 servings
- 4 slices bacon
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cup thinly sliced mushroom
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 oz Asiago cheese
- 2 eggs quartered and sliced
Creamy Balsamic Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Octoberfest or Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil
In bowl, whisk together garlic, salt, pepper, vinegar, pesto, honey and mayonnaise; slowly whisk in oil until dressing is smooth. (Make-ahead: Scrape into jar and store in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Whisk again before serving.) Stir in shredded basil.
Cut bacon crosswise into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) strips. Fry in skillet over medium heat until crisp; drain and pat dry on paper towels.
Place spinach, bacon, mushrooms and onion in large bowl. (Make-ahead: Cover with damp towel and plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.) Add dressing; toss to coat evenly. With vegetable peeler, shave Asiago into thin curls. Arrange over salad with eggs.