My Shanghainese mother, the best cook in my family, inspired this dish. Every time she makes these ribs, they are the first to be cleared up. Now with my healthy mixed vegetable and brown rice twist, this dish has protein, fibre, vitamins, whole grains, and carbs for a well-rounded meal. I always say I'll stop at one bowl of rice and end up eating two. Ingredients listed below are in groups. Healthy mixed vegetable rice includes: organic brown jasmine rice, baby bok choy, shiitake mushrooms, organic shelled edamame, water, salt, granulated sugar, olive oil and grated ginger. Ribs include: side ribs, garlic and olive oil. Vinegar sauce includes: water, packed brown sugar, chinese rice vinegar, chinese cooking wine, soy sauce and dark soy sauce (optional).
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Jessica Lui
Mixed Vegetable Brown Jasmine Rice:
- 2 cups organic brown jasmine rice
- 4 cups water for cooking rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 lb baby bok choy cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 15 heads shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups organic shelled edamame
- 3 cups water for cooking edamame
Side Ribs with Vinegar Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs naturally raised, hormone-free pork side ribs trimmed of fat and cut into pieces (approx. 30 ribs)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 cup Chinese rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce optional (for colour)
MethodTools: Heavy saucepan with a lid for rice; medium saucepan with a lid for stir-fried vegetables, edamame and ribs; and a colander.
Mixed Vegetable Brown Jasmine Rice
1. Rinse 2 cups (500 mL) rice and drain well. In a heavy saucepan with a lid, combine rice with 4 cups (1000mL) water over high heat. When the water boils, stir the rice and cover. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender and has absorbed almost all the water, 20-30 minutes.
2. Take the pan off the heat. Uncover the rice and fluff with a fork so that some of the liquid evaporates and the grains separate. Re-cover the rice and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tsp (5mL) olive oil in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add 1 tsp (5mL) grated ginger and stir fry until aromatic (about 15 seconds). Add baby bok choi, cook for 4 minutes. Season with 3 tsp (15mL) salt and 2 tsp (10mL) sugar. Add shitake mushrooms, cook for 3 minutes until bok choi and mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat, drain well in colander and set aside.
4. Boil 3 cups (750mL) water in medium saucepan over high heat, add 2 cups (500mL) edamame when water is boiling, cook for 3 minutes, drain well in colander and set aside.
5. Combine the drained bok choi, mushrooms, and edamame into rice, mix well.
Side Ribs with Vinegar Sauce
1. Heat medium saucepan on medium high heat, add 1 tsp (5mL) olive oil. Brown ribs, 3 minutes on each side and set aside.
2. Add garlic, stir-fry until aromatic (about 10 seconds, don't burn the garlic). Add brown sugar, Chinese cooking wine, Chinese rice vinegar, soy sauce and dark soy sauce (optional) to the ribs, ensuring the ribs are soaking in the sauce. Bring to boil for 1 minute, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
3. Remove ribs from saucepan, put aside. Reduce the sauce for 8 minutes or until thickened. Plating Place 1 cup of mixed vegetable rice and 4-5 ribs on dinner plate. Drizzle sauce over ribs and rice. Enjoy!
1. Always wash your vegetables and meats to ensure a clean, safe and delicious meal.
2. Use a small spoon to scoop any excess fat from the rib sauce.
3. You can find the vinegar sauce ingredients in the Asian aisle at the supermarket.