- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Jodi Borneman
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic crushed
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup black bean
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup green onion chopped
- 1/3 cup light aged cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
MethodSpray a large non stick skillet with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until browned, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the turkey and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon, saute until it's no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and juice, stock, barley, peppers, basil, oregano, bay leaves, beans and tomato paste to the pan. Break up the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the barley is tender. Remove the bay leaves.
Garnish each serving with green onion, cheese, sour cream and parsley.