Homemade vegetable broth is the best option for minimizing the sodium content in this delicate, flavourful soup. However, if you prefer to use storebought broth, choose organic, which is lower in sodium.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2013
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced cremini mushrooms (about 115 g)
- 1 sweet potato (about 340 g) peeled and diced
- 2 cups homemade vegetable broth or organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups stemmed kale thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
MethodIn large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
Stir in sweet potato, 3 cups water, broth, quinoa, pepper and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until quinoa is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir in kale; cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 5 g
- Sodium 194 mg
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 6 g
- Calories 195.0
- Total fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 36 g
- Iron 24.0
- Folate 15.0
- Calcium 9.0
- Vitamin A 164.0
- Vitamin C 77.0